Thursday, 14 January 2010

Struggling against the Bars - scrapbooked AJC10


This was a creative piece that I write last year on my main blog. *Warning* the piece deals with personal and weight issues - the words may trigger. Part of the reason I'm doing the Caravan is as a distraction as I confront my binge eating issues: I'm still struggling against the bars. The words are below after the credits.

Credits:

Background paper (rotated 90 degrees) - Tangie Baxter, Journal Anthology papers
Cage and the bird - Tangie Baxter, Art Journal Caravan week 2 parcel


Struggling Against the Bars

My past is my cage
And some days it's tight,
Keeping my arms by my side
Squeezing the breath and my flesh
Like a mask for a face
That's not mine.
But other days I'm a bird
Let free to soar,
And see all the colours
And more.

My weight is my cage
Hanging heavy on my limbs
But I want to be rid now.
I look to the future
But I can't see today
How to get through.
So I must look to the bird
Unburdened and free
To see how the weight
Can be lost
By slipping my chains
Or struggling against the bars
For a while.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, this is quite profound really. Have you ever heard the expression, "He eats like a bird"? Sometime told me that and they meant that 'he eats all of the time.' Well, when you think about tiny humming birds and how much movement they do, it doesn't appear they would ever be fulfilled. That constant movement would increase food intake. Then I suppose you might conclude that the birds eat to live and it's not a matter of living to eat. So to be outside of their comfort zone would mess them up. Maybe even starve them.

    Instead of food, I looked at the words we eat. What things we say to ourselves to cause us to stay in the cage or the comfort zone. Sorry this is so long of a comment. It just really touched my heart. I know the fragileness of birds. Therefore maybe, I can appreciate your own fragileness. As a bird I would not like cages. I would want to be free and soaring.
    I know you will more and more as time goes on. My respect and love, Dixie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse my omission; it is a truly lovely scrapbooked piece! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dixie. You may remember this was a piece I wrote last year, but I felt as though it needed to be brought into my scrapbooked journey for this year as the paper, cage and bird were included in the digital elements that could be used this week. Serendipity... Love Julie xx

    ReplyDelete