This year, I'm actually doing two journals - a small sketch pad to experiment with colour and drawing, and a medium sized mixed media one for my Art Journal Caravan 2011 ("AJC2011") adventure. The piece above is from my small sketch pad. "Live more, fear less" were part of my wishes for 2011 and the quote I came across from a larger one found on http://www.kindovermatter.com/2010/12/stand-up-walk-out-of-your-history.html . For AJC2011 my word of the year is probably going to be "Believe" but "Sparkle" or even "Shine" are also playing with my brain, so I shall make that choice later this week.
I've always shied away from colours and the piece is still a little pastel in places, but includes more colours than I would usually use together - pinks, purples, yellows, light greens, blues and orange. Initially I started with a lilac Promarker to stencil hearts from some sequin waste, but the colour hearts merged. I used a different marker and highlighted alternate hearts, but the colours felt too muted. So I added colours and patches of colour, using a blender pen to reduce hard lines of colour. I added circles of purple and a heart, and then when I had finished, added highlighting circles with a white pencil.
Using Promakers has the additional advantage (so I discovered) of soaking through the paper of the sketch pad, so I don't have to colour in the back ;) . You can see the original heart stencils on the back of the piece. The white patches are where I wrote with a Pigma pen which doesn't soak through but the ink does bleed a little with the use of the Promarkers over the top. I slightly shortened the gap between the words "an" and "end" by mistake, but I'm not going to sweat it too much...
Credits:
Sketch pad - Moleskine Pocket Watercolour Notebook
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/8883705602/ref=oss_product
Coloured Pens - Letraset Promarkers http://www.letraset.com/products/8-ProMarkers/
Black outline pen - Sakura Pigma pen, Micron 01 http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/Pen-Archival
White pencil - Berol Verithik
http://www.berol.co.uk/cdetail.php?cType=p®ion=eu&catCode=33&Cat=&crumb=

No comments:
Post a Comment