Thursday, 20 January 2011

I don't have to hold the world up



My maternal grandad was a very important person in my life. When I was a child, he would take my brother and me out for adventures in his Mini car - affectionately known as "The Puddle Jumper", because Minis are so low to the road. We would whizz around country lanes around Winchester, in Hampshire (within speed limits, as Grandad was a policeman) but because the car felt only knee-high to a grasshopper, it felt like joy, two kids and a grandad, laughing and jokily yelling to ourselves "Move over" as we encountered other cars. The photo above is one of my favourites - of my Grandad holding onto me on my Christening Day.

Grandad got me interested in history and nature, and in Autumn is when I feel closest to him because of our childhood walks - he died just before my 2nd marriage 15 years ago, but he met my future husband and approved (unlike the first one, but then if it hadn't been for the first, my life would not have led to my second and most beautiful hubby, and our son, but that's another story :)). I believe my Grandad is my Guardian Angel - a whisperer of truths, a guiding hand in my life and that of my son's too. Grandad saw me as a person, not just as his granddaughter, and I have often sought that acknowledgement elsewhere - holding up the world for others to lighten their load, but taking on too much myself, just to be seen. Again I am enough and I enjoy helping others but not to the deteriment of me.


Credits:
Background (extract from digital mini kit) - Basic Grey, Fusion Starter Kit, Paper - Love me Tender (http://www.basicgrey.com/digital/shop/collections/show/current/fusion)
Picture of Woman with basket, the World and phrases - from Soul Restoration Course supplies

No comments:

Post a Comment