Tuesday, 5 January 2010

AJC10 Cover of journal finished


It's taken a few days of sewing, but I've finished the fabric cover of my journal. It was an organic piece as I had no pattern or instructions on how to make a fabric covered journal front - I just let the design evolve. I had found a sari-covered journal book in a local stationery store, but didn't like the paper they were using inside - wasn't sure if the paper was acid-free and it wasn't an useful size for scrapbook layouts, so I cannibalised it, using the sari material and the silver ribbon that was wrapped around the journal set for part of the cover and removing the silver cord bookmark to make a fastening for the new journal. I used some quilting batting (stuffing) to bulk out the cover to give it a cushiony feel and stitched the muslin backing around some 6x6 book board to give it shape and rigidity. I then attached the embellishings with stitch or Xyron's create-a-sticker adhesive. The "O" of "FREEDOM" is purposely upside down to show freedom from being prefect. I wanted my cover to look like a cushion - my soft place to land.
To finish the back of the front cover, I attached ribbon to the edges of the front cover, pinned them to some space-dyed velvet from my stash and sowed the ribbon to the velvet. I signed the cover using a woven label I had from a knitting kit that I didn't use. I used to not sign things I had made, but this is signed, to again reflect freedom to own art as my creation.

Credits: Front Cover
Sari fabric (purple silk with silver embroidered leaves, and silver and purple woven ribbon), cannabalised from a sari-covered journal book - WH Smiths
Space-dyed calico and lace - Kates Kloths*
Twill ribbons "Under Construction" and "Journey Adventure Travel" - Paperartsy*
Silver ribbon and silver cord bookmark with heart-shaped charm - from cannabalised sari journal book as above
Book Board 6x6 - 7 gypsies
Hole punch and eyelet setter - Crop-a-dile
Adhesive - Xyron create-a-sticker
Remaining items - muslin, batting, embellishments, threads etc from my stashes*

*Purchased at least 12 months ago - may no longer be available


Credits: Back of Front Cover
All items from my craft stash* designer/supplier details no longer known

6 comments: