Monday, 4 January 2010

AJC10 Week 1 - Buzzing with ideas


Last night I couldn't get to sleep initially, ideas were whizzing round my head. I had to get up and write them down, before my brain would shut off. I started on an idea for a cover for my journal which will be a physical one, rather than a digital or virtual one. I took to pieces a journal book I had bought (similar to the one above) as I loved the sari material it was covered in. The material is too small to cover both the front and the back covers I wanted to use, but I had ideas - I had to soak the material to remove the adhesive and some of the paper from the cover - "freedom" to alter books and to use what I want how I want. This morning, the silk sari - a beautiful purple with silver thread embroidery and ribbon - was dry and it is now ironed and stabulised on some muslin. I've had a look in my stashes of materials and experimental fabric packs that I had bought over the years to use, but never got round to using or thought that were too beautiful to use - "freedom" that I am good enough to use them and not destroy their beauty by doing so. I've got some ribbons and twill to add to the sari silk and see where that takes me - "freedom" to be fluid.

I'll be photographing or scanning things as works-in-progress or as finished pieces, and will be blogging much more than what will go in the journal, as I feel I need write things down, otherwise I will burst.

Once a book, now a cover...

Chosen one-word: Freedom

Theme: Letting Go

xx

2 comments:

  1. Oh very nice! ~and you've 'freed' this material from its former life! Love this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was always told to take care of my books, not to write in them, not to colour them in etc, because they cost a lot, they had to be taken care of etc. It was very liberating to disassembly the journal and use the material, because I could.

    ReplyDelete